Replace Cast Iron Guttering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Now that the weather has taken a turn for the worse I have noticed that my guttering is leaking into the wooden facias/soffits and causing damp in the walls behind (and probably rotting the wood). So I've decided to have the fascias, soffits and guttering replaced with uPVC. I've had a few quotes, and one of them has mentioned leaving the guttering (which he tells me is cast iron) and just replacing the fascias and soffits - because the guttering will just need resealing rather than replacing - because cast iron guttering lasts a lifetime.

Is this right? I'm not sure if he is being helpful, or just trying to avoid doing a job he doesn't want to do!?

Sponsored Links
it is a pity all guttering weren't as sturdy as cast iron.

the problem is that over time, the unpainted bit (the back because it is inaccessible) rots away. this applies to the down spout too.

it is very rare to see original cast iron gutter that has not got the problem of back-rot.

how old is the gutter?

Everyone else on the terrace has the same, so I'm assuming its original to the house - which is a 1930s build, so the guttering isn't young!

Sponsored Links
just trying to avoid doing a job he doesn't want to do!?

Removing cast gutter is a mission, all the bolts rust, the brackets bend as you pry them off the fascia and its a beatch to fit it all back together again.

Go for a nice deepflow black gutter, its like half round but much deeper.

:)

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like the guy who told me to leave the cast guttering just didn't fancy replacing it! Shame, it means forking out over 1400 for the lot - but if you want the job done properly.....

If the problem is the gutter leaking, just fix the gutter. The timber won't then get wet and won't rot. This option will save you loads of cash and retain aesthetics. Appolgies if you like the look of plastic.

troy, what do you mean by 1400? £1400 to do what: all fascia and guttering?

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like the guy who told me to leave the cast guttering just didn't fancy replacing it! Shame, it means forking out over 1400 for the lot - but if you want the job done properly.....

Not so, its more work taking off/refixing the cast, than it is putting plastic up.

If the cast is in good condition, re use it.

The best quotes I've got are around the £1,400 mark for replacing 2 sides of fascias and soffits, 2 sides of guttering, and 2 lots of downpipes... some of the quotes have been over £2,000. To be honest this is more than I was expecting, but seeing as loads of different people are all coming in at the same sort of price I'm guessing that its the going rate.

Xenon - The guttering is the main problem, its leaking into the soffits and causing serious damp on the walls - so it looks like it needs replacing. The guttering isn't fixed onto the fascia boards, its fitted above them so to replace the fascias and soffits wouldn't mean taking off the guttering.

Sounds like the guttering is shot just replace job done, might as well do the fascias and soffits while your at it, if they are rotten.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back