Repair or replace cast iron guttering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leaking gutter on the front of my 1890s terraced house. A roofer suggested it should be replaced with plastic guttering, which seems a shame. To do that and repair the damaged soffit - which I believe is concrete(?) and needs minor filing and repainting - they're asking around £1.5K.

Would it be significantly more and/or worthwhile to have the original cast iron guttering repaired? The damage does not look significant - it's only leaking where the brackets fix to the house.

One half of our terrace has iron, the other half plastic and I much prefer the iron.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the condition of the cast gutter, it tends to rot away from the top of the inside under the slates first.

These photos show the 2 areas of damage from underneath.

PXL_20230726_104821622-EDIT.jpg
PXL_20230726_104812431-EDIT.jpg

I've had another quote now that sounds reasonable for repairing the iron gutter, but don't want to get it done if it's just going to rot again in a few years. The 2 roofers I've spoken to seem keen to replace with PVC.

Sponsored Links
Of course they are keen to replace .
To be honest , if the back of the cast is still sound I'd take it down de rust it . Decorate and refit . Done properly it will be less trouble than the plastic .
If it's badly rusted through at the back , then replace .
Maybe consider cast aluminium. It's easy enough and looks like the original.

Just look at that abortion next door !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back