Do I need primer for this paint job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m repainting the woodwork on my house. Some of the sills are fine. Some are starting to flake and one will need repairing with filler.

Am I okay to paint over these after removing the flaky paint or do I need to go back to bare wood and put primer on? The paint I’ve got is Sandtex exterior. It does specify primer but in reference to bare wood I think.

Attachments

• IMG_8624.jpeg
    IMG_8624.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8626.jpeg
    IMG_8626.jpeg
    601.6 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
Assuming you are looking for a solid opaque finish (ie not varnish or woodstain) you need to ensure all bare wood is primed first.

You only need to remove loose flaky paint and sand the entire surface you don't need to go back to bare wood if the surface is sound.

Not sure what your topcoat requires, but highly likely you will need an undercoat as well.

I would use Leyland Arcylic Primer Undercoat and then gloss exterior paint like Johnstones water based gloss. Two coats each will do nicely. I have just done the same with my garage door, pic attached.

You may find better deals elsewhere.

IMG_6144.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back