Paint Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I inherited a dark red wall in the lounge of my home, an old cottage, and would like to paint it a much lighter colour. It has a gloss finish. Can anyone please advise the sort of paint I would need to cover this and which would make it much lighter. There is too much of it to sand down or take off and I would prefer a smooth finish eventually.

Also, the floor of the summer house, which is shiplap, also needs a coat of something to protect it. Can anyone advise on the suitable type of paint, varnish or stain which I should use? Thank you for any replies.

Sponsored Links
At a minimum, you will need to lightly abrade the red paint, then dust off.

Some people use magnolia as a base coat to obliterate the original colour first. Magnolia is normally as cheap as white paint when buying Trade quality paints.

If the texture of the existing finish is not to your liking, you could hang lining paper over it first.

BTW, I would strongly recommend buying a decent quality paint such as Dulux Trade and not the retail rubbish that is just called Dulux. I woud expect 3 coats of matt DT would be sufficient to cover the red.

With regards to the summerhouse floor, I would recommend an oil such as Osmo oil.

https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product-type/oils/project/summer-houses

Thank you very much for your reply, I know now where I am headed! I would never have thought of Osmo Oil and didn't realise Dulux wasn't as good as Dulux Trade. Again, many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back