paint and dampness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem; small section on cement rendered area that is mildly damp almost certainly due to no damp proof course - the area is small, 1 sq foot, feels more cold than damp.

Over the past 10 or so years I have on 3 or 4 occasions rubbed it down and applied some emulsion, it will look good for a year then the paint starts to deteriorate and looks in need of a new coat, clealy the damp is affecting it.

I am not wanting to spend any money at all, and just use paints that I have kicking about in the garage. What would be my best options out of the following. It would be a bonus if it would look good for two years instead of one

Some diluted pva (not the water resistant stuff).
Water based undercoat acrylic paint. followed by emulsion
Oil based undercoat. followed by emulsion
Just slap on some more emulsion.

Sponsored Links
None of the above.

Sorry, but if you want to sort the problem it will cost you about £25 for a 2.5 litre can of Zinsser Gardz (assuming the cause of the damp is first remedied).

If you are unwilling to buy any, resign yourself to endless unsuccessful attempts with unsuitable materials.

Just slap emulsion on - until you sort the damp nothing will sort it - not Gardz or anything else.

OK decision made. I coated half of it in water based undercoat acrylic paint and the other half in tradition oil based undercoat - I will finish it off tomorrow with some emulsion.

And then in a year or twos time (if I remember) I will come back and tell you if either has faired better than just painting it directly in emulsion.

Just for the record, as I will forget, the bit closest to the door is the water based stuff.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back