paint and lime plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have just bought a 1930s council house (perhaps mid-late 1930s). Upstairs we had quite a lot of work done. I stripped back all the wall paper, spent ages scrubbing buckets of old paste and paint mix off the wall till I reached the stage where it was as clean as I could get it. Back to the plaster here and there, but to a stable looking paint layer elsewhere.

Anyhow, I used the dreaded pollycell basecoat to cover up as much as I could then put on a couple of coats of magnolia. It all looks great (a few days in) but I am worried now that I may have painted over lime plaster with a non-breathable (the pollycell) paint. How long do you think it would be before a reaction would show. Also - how could I identify if it was lime plaster or not? It is definatley not the pinky brown of the newer plaster which you can see where the electrics were chased in.

Any advise/experience would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
If it is lime mortar and you were to rub your hand over it, it would leave a chalky powdery residue. It does sound as if it may be if so it should have been sealed prior to painting.

Dec

thanks dec. How long do you think before it would begin to show?
Also - hopeful thought - if the pollycell is non breathable would that act as a seal?

Thanks Dec

Two questions:

How long do you think before it would start to show?
Also - I don't suppose the pollycell would act to seal it if it is not breathable <hopeful emoticon>

Sponsored Links
If this is lime mortar your problem now is not breathability it's what you applied over it, any dry powdery surface needs to be as I said sealed prior to the application of paint. The chances are that given time it will start to lift and flake and I can't offer you a timescale, at this moment of time it hasn't been established that you have painted over either a lime mortar, wash, or distemper substrate.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back