Painting on to new plaster, do I need a basecoat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have had my house replasterd. I've let the plaster dry (for 6 months) out before sanding it and sealing it with PVA.

I've been using pollycell and B&Q basecoats to paint the walls. Its proving very expensive.

I've seen my local DIY store selling 10L tubs of Dulux Pure Brilliant White Matt paint.

If I were to use the Dulux matt white as a basecoat and then paint over it with dulux coloured silk paint, would I have any problems?

Sponsored Links
You should never ever use PVA as a basecoat sealer on new plaster before emulsion. Generally it will peel off. All that is need is a thinned down coat of a cheap trade white matt emulsion. When dry sand and fill the walls where needed and continue with full coats of your chosen emulsion.

Hi, I have had my house replasterd. I've let the plaster dry (for 6 months) out
before sanding it and sealing it with PVA.

New plaster shouldn't need to be sanded down, it should be a finished product, apart from maybe a little touching up here and there,,, and as Robbie says, PVA should "never" be used as a sealer on new plaster.

alright, pva was a mistake. If I use a mist coat, then paint over it with matt emulsion. Will there be any problems if I use silk paint on the matt paint?

Sponsored Links
alright, pva was a mistake. If I use a mist coat, then paint over it with matt emulsion. Will there be any problems if I use silk paint on the matt paint?

Only sanded it because the plastering was shocking in some places....looks a lot better now.

Is sealing with PVA really no-no? :eek:

Six years ago I sealed the new plaster in my daughter's room with diluted PVA as the plasterer advised me. Then painted with math emulsion. Nothing is pealing off, the wall and the ceiling still look good.

Is sealing with PVA really no-no? :eek:

Six years ago I sealed the new plaster in my daughter's room with diluted PVA as the plasterer advised me. Then painted with math emulsion. Nothing is pealing off, the wall and the ceiling still look good.

It shouldn't be used, however..I've known many folk use it and it's turned out good so in your case I would continue with Dulux Trade paint.
Don't use retail Dulux.

It was dry when you did it. It's dry now. You'll be O.k but now, only use Trade paint over the top. Bit dearer but definitely worth it now.

Always a good trade paint, never the retail stuff from the DIY stores, this a never as good as a trade paint.

Mist coat you said ?
I take it you intend to spray the paint then, If so, drop your paint down by 10 to 15% because 2 full coats neat from a sprayer is very heavy (remember, a sprayer deliveres 2 coats in 1 pass).

The PVA if used as a sealer and only very thin, well let down, it should be OK but for future reff, just use some well thinned contract mat (trade type), its cheaper and does the job nicely.

If your going to spray the job, give me a shout as I am in that trade myself, may be able to give a little advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back