Dulux Light and Space over old dark paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has for a while been intending to paint over his dark purple bedroom walls with white Dulux Light and Space, which is one of the products in this weekend's Dulux free paint offer. I've read some reports on here of people needing to use several coats of this paint to completely cover a darker colour.

Wondering whether he would be better to:

a) start with a basecoat e.g. Crown basecoat, Polycell, B&Q, Wickes...
b) start with a coat of Dulux Supermatt
c) forget the free paint offer and use Dulux Trade Diamond Matt Light and Space for all coats
d) use something else altogether

Sponsored Links
Combination of a) and c) for me - I just can't be arsed with claiming and sending pictures to get the money back on a card .;)

Not sure if it's just down to the paint quality, more down to the dark purple. I had a black bedroom as a teenager, on the promise I returned it to a normal colour when I left home. If memory serves me right, it took 5-6 coats of the thick, white paint that used to come in a tray to completely cover the black.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back