Paint coming off eith sugar soap and sponge!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I've stripped some wallpaper off a wall in our house. It came off *very* easily, as in almost whole drops in one go.

Underneath was mostly white emulsion, and some bits lilac (where I guess they had gone over the white before the paper).

Wall looked okay, I sanded some lilac bits off as they were raised, this went straight down to bare plaster in no time. I thought I'd fill those bits.

Now, sugar soaking today and in some places a washing up sponge can take the paint off with only a little scrubbing!..or if you run a fingernail over it

I thought I would mist coat what's there, to go over the bare bits, see what in left with, fill, white emulsion again and two top coats...

Not sure if I should try to get it all off or not thou, at the bottom there's a line of what I'm guessing is oil based paint above the skirting, which is obviously bullet proof!

Oh on a plasterboard stud wall if that's of any relevance.

Sponsored Links
Best case scenario it is just contract matt, if so treat it as a bare plaster wall and apply a mist coat (following the manufacturers dilution instructions).

There is a outside chance that it is distemper, if so, you will need to wash it off or seal it. Unless the property is pretty old, distemper is far less likely.

Well I'm pretty sure the wall went up about 13-14 years ago so, from what (very little!) I know about distemper, I doubt it's that.

Mrs, surprisingly, as its her office, seems keen to try and wash the lot off! I think mist and see where we are regarding filling myself.

I don't reckon we'd get the magnolia ish oil based line off above the skirting without something more hardcore either.

If we mist and a 'proper' top coat pulls it off I gusss were back to where we are now anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back