Paint drying times: Basic Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, this is such a basic question. I'm doing my first big painiting project, and I have a basic question about paint drying times.

The time given on the tin is the time before you can do a second coat, is this the same time I should wait before painting next to the paint
so if I've painted the skirting board with Satinwood and it says 16 hours before I overpaint, should I wait 16 hours before painting the walls with emulsion
Thanks
Lindsay

Sponsored Links
as you might drip some emulsion onto the skirting and need to clean it off, I'd let the Satinwood get pretty hard first. A few days.

The easier way is to paint "downwards" i.e. do the skirting last. Emulsion dries fast. drips mostly go downwards.

Thanks John, that makes sense, someone advised me to do it this way, cant remember why though, maybe because I could wipe off any emulsion drips more easily than I could the oil-based Satinwood

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back