Paint on UPVC problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a front door, which has a grp skin with simulated wood grain effect, at the top of the door is a semi circlular window which is made to look as though it is four seperate windows by the placement of a fancy piece of upvc plastic laid over the top of the glass.

Now at some time in the past the door has painted with some cr*p paint and it bubbled and peeled off all over the door, the only place it did not peel off was the UPVC window section. I have been able to use paintstripper on the door to remove the remaining paint but this has a tendancy to melt the UPVC, any suggestions what I can use the get the paint of so I can paint it properly

Here a picture of a similar style of door I am talking about

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produ...952&paintCatId=

Any suggestion greatly received

Tim

Sponsored Links
Thats a rotton call there....hard problem, can the door be sanded back?

I think theres a paint stripper on the market which is 'organic' and natural....ive heasrd it it someone but sadly I cant remember.

When it comes to re coating give the whole door a good rub down with wet and dry paper and then two coats of gloss...no undercoat its too brittle and wont cope with the expansion and contraction of the plastic.

The door is getting a good sanding it just the UPVC bit at the top which is causing problems. The paint that remains is all lumpy and horrible, not the sort of thing you want to paint on top of

I was actually going to use some international paint for boats for the main part of the door, I know they used to do a grp primer (sort of clear liquid that etches the surface to give the paint a good surface to grips to) then just chuck a couple of coats of gloss on top.

The door takes full sun from around 10-00am in the morning to about 4-00pm every day so gets a good baking

Tim

any luck draggin? or you been getting into a frenzy over it :rolleyes:

on another note - i've got a UPVC window that has got old silicon sealant smeared all over the upper and side edge... this has gone a delightful yellow colour :mad: any idea on how to remove the sealant?? white spirits ETc?????

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back