Paint peeling from walls - big time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house was built mid 90's. I've removed some dado rail and the paint is coming away like wallpaper despite carefully running a stanley knife along the edges on removal. I've actually removed the paint from one wall completely and with a bit of fine sanding its looking pretty smooth.

The only problem is I have 50 more feet of wall and the paint looks like its happy to come away as well but I'm losing the will to live. I've previously removed dado from the hallway with sanding / smoothing but no issues with peeling paint.

A quick look on a recent thread mentions zinsser peel stop.....would it work on this or any other suggestions ?

https://www.toolstation.com/zinsser-peel-stop-primer-paint/p44309

PXL_20211031_221051658.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just an update as may be of use to someone hopefully.

I rubbed the area down as best as I could and applied zinsser peel stop. I left it a few hours and have started the process of filling with Toupret filler / sanding / filling / sanding etc. The peel stop certainly did its job. Quick pic of 1st application of filler attached. Only 50 odd feet to go.

Having removed dado in the hall years back I can still see under certain light a smooth area , whereas the old paint surface is slightly dappled due to numerous paint coats. Are there any suggestions on paint that could provide a consistent coverage to hide this before applying my colour of choice ? Or is it simply a case of building up layers and or living with it.

My daughter has a full unused pot of Dulux base coat 3 in 1. Worth a go ?

PXL_20211101_193007011.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back