paint samples going lilac

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have ordered some dulux mat paint samples all in light neutral colours.(natural Hessian, soft stone etc) when I paint them on my cream coloured walls they all come out different shades of lilac or grey even after 2 coats, but if I paint them on white theh look good. What can I do to get the true colour?[/list]

Sponsored Links
If its a question of total change of colour, I always tell my Customers that I will put 1/2 coats Matt White Emulsion " Blinding" coat on first before the colour of their choice.

It makes it even worse when you walk into the room and see that the Customer has used paint pots and there can be at least half a dozen different colour patches on the walls. :rolleyes:

Natural hessian is IMO quite grey so its probably a case of choosing some different colours. If your never sure about a colour just dab a bit from the sample onto the appropriate tab on the colour card. Pigment distribution is different in sample pots as well so rarely offer a true representation. I try to dissuade clients from putting colours on the wall and usually give them a few pieces of lining paper which can be painted and carefully taped to the wall and moved around to check different lights at different times of day.

Sponsored Links
I'd be careful on this one.

We recently bought a batch of paint from our local Dulux outlet which they mixed to a light blue - according to their formula. Upon opening the tin it was lilac. Their machine had just been recalibrated the week before so chances were it was a mistaken mix. So they made another batch and it was lilac as well. Went to Crown and got the exact colour specified on their formula.

There is no way you should have to use "special" undercoat colours to correct for what is obviously the wrong colour in the tin.

Somewhere along the line something is going wrong with Dulux as I've had colour mixing problems before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back