paint setter for inlay in wood carving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello im new here and i need some advice and was hoping some of you guys could help me out.

im making a modular paddle strop and am carving a vine into the sides of it and i want to inlay the carvings with some water based acrylic pain i have.

the paint is too thick so i need to dilute it at the moment im using water for testing purposes.

the problem is when it sets its still soft and can be easily marked with a fingernail for example.
so i need some kind of setter/hardener which will cause the paint to set hard after pouring it into the carving.

does anyone know of anything that will fit the bill?

i will be going over it with clear varnish/lacquer when it is hardened.

thanks in advance guys
kindest regards steven

Sponsored Links
I would have though a polyester clear resin that's mixed with a clear hardener would be a better option.
And colour it with the acrylic paint.

I would have though a polyester clear resin that's mixed with a clear hardener would be a better option.
And colour it with the acrylic paint.

thanks for the reply how about epoxy resin and hardener?

the only problem is i dont think the epoxy mixed with the paint will be runny enough to pour into the engraving unless i added it bit by bit but then it wont be flat like it would if i poured it.

i have a very well known good quality one, there are no ads allowed on this forum as it says in the rules but im sure you can figure out which one im talking about im not sure if its polyester based though

also what percentage of paint do you think i can dilute it with i want the exact colour of the paint but it needs to still be hard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back