paint system for galvanised garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The metal door has areas of flaking paint. It is rented house- so not sure wether to just make good rather than strip it all off. If I go down to galvanised steel, what system should I use to get back to a gloss white finish. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Usually just scrape off the loose, carefull how you abrade ! or you might break the galvanised surface and rust will get in = nightmare laters.
After scraping, abrading and cleaning. You need to spot prime the galvanised metal with either a universal metal primer which states it's intended for galvanising, the old way with Calcium Plumbate metal primer, or zinnsser 123 is exellent for galvanised. ( what I use nowadays)

If you strip whole door and theres no rust . You can also use the traditional etching primer sometimes called, T cut, or mordant solution. with this you just apply leave to go black...ish then rinse off with water.. leave to dry then undercoat.>>>>

Good luck.

surely if its rented and not your fault you dont have to fix it?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back