Painting a glass splashback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing up the kitchen and I like the idea of a toughened glass splashback behind the cooker but not sure what the best paint and the best way to apply it. I have seen some coloured glass splashbacks and worktops but I can scource some cheap (in value not in quality) glass from a mate and fancy saving myself a few bob by painting it myself.

Sponsored Links
You can paint the back surface with non-drip gloss. Will look smooth (no brushmarks show through the glass) but the colour will be a little darker and possibly greener due to the colour of the glass.

Sponsored Links
Strewth, that was quick! Thanks folks.
The walls not in such good nick so painting it is a non-starter without replastering so I'm going to try the non drip gloss on a piece of glass in an old picture frame to see the results.
While I'm here, whats the trick to cutting glass tiles?

If you don't want the colour to be tinted green by the glass, ask for "low iron glass" I think Opti White is the brand name of Pilkingtons low iron glass.

Actually I've just finished the kitchen this morning and the splashback looks great and sets the whole kitchen off a treat. Went down the non-drip gloss road and I couldnt be happier with plenty of brownie points from the wife. Thanks again for all your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back