Painting Bannister - Any tips?

Regarding earlier posts, I agree with Opps that the Jonstones wb eggshell is pretty bad, in fact I find it so bad that I have stopped using it. On the other hand the aqua satin finish (same range) is better, but the aqua gloss is magnificent. It is so good that I am prepared to ignore the fashion for low sheen and start using it on my own house.

I have to use a lot of farrow & Ball because the local f&b supplier puts alot of work my way. I have to say that out of wb eggshells , I enjoy using theirs the most. Little greene is good to use but seems too shiny to me.

For white wb eggshell I am probably going to switch to Zinsser perma white once I have recovered from recently having to do a whole 5 bed house's woodwork in Jonstones wb eggshell.

Edit: just to add that because of yellowing I never use oil based topcoats indoors unless I am instructed to by the customer.

Sponsored Links
Hiya all,

Im bringing this post back from a couple of years ago in the hope someone can help me with my latest paint job lol

After painting the bannisters etc using dulux satinwood and them still looking fantastic a couple of years later i thought I would buy some more for the living room. After checking a few shops no-where stocked the plain old Dulux Satinwood I used before, only this Dulux Satinwood "Once". Giving it the benefit of doubt I bought it and have painted it on 2 internal doors........the results are somewhat poor grrrr It looks, feels and paints almost like gloss, does anyone know whats happened to it? More importantly can anyone recommend a paint that is like the old satinwood?

Thanks in advance for any help

After doing some searches, is the satinwood now oil based which is why its gone on like gloss?

Both oil and water based satinwoods are available. Dulux umpteenth re-formulation water based is very good, used some recently and its good enough to ditch oil based in a satin finish for good. Sikkens BL satura is still the best.

If you do want oil based look for trade.

So did you do the spindles etc in oil based or water based?

Sponsored Links
Hi mate, thanks for the reply.

All i used before was a plain Dulux Satinwood. If i remember right it didnt say anything on the tin but im assuming it was the water based one because this new one is just the same as gloss. It looks even worse this morning dried so its sand down and start again i think grrrr

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back