painting cast iron radiators black?what kind of paint to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My locate paint supplier gave me black external solvent based paint (Johnstons used foor paintign exterior metal) and advised this will be ok to apint old cast iron radiators in?
I thought I needed oil based paint-can anyone shed any lights?
Can anyone recommend any paint brands to use?

thanks

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by 'solvent-based'?

If it is metal paint, it should be OK for radiators, as long as it is the finish you want (matt/gloss).

Solvent based is oil based.

Not a good idea to use external paints on the inside as they can discolour very quickly without UV light, that said if your doing them black it may not be relevant. However there are chemicals in exterior masonary paints that are bad for your health such as anti fungicides and i should think specific exterior solvents have a similar make up.

Any gloss trade paint would be ok from the major brands, needs undercoating in dark grey if your going for black

Sponsored Links
You are painting on a metal so must use oil based paint. Besides that you are using primer before. Are you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back