Painting directly on to a concrete garage...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a garage in the back garden which we want to neaten up. We have recently had the door, roof and gutters replaced so the last part of the refurb is the walls.

It currently looks unfinished - there is no rendering or cladding to it at all. We plan to move house in a couple of years so I don't want to spend a fortune on it.

Can masonry paint (or another kind of paint) be applied directly or do I need to fix some kind of 'outdoor plasterboard' first?

Also, is rendering an expensive alternative?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
masonry paint is fine.

precast concrete is very "hungry" (absorbent) so it is essential to apply one, or preferably two, mist coats of the paint thinned with water, so it soaks into the "pores" and seals them. Otherwise the solids of the paint tend to lie on the surface without soaking in. I like to use 20% water though some people use less.

the mist coats must be applied by brush, and you will find they immediately disappear as they are sucked into the concrete. You will know you have killed the suction when this no longer happens, then you can apply the paint straight from the tub.

stir it very very well before and during use.

if the surface is porous or chalky I would use a coat of stablising Solution, then a couple of coats of Masonry paint of your choice.

Sponsored Links
When we painted the concrete blocks of our garage (admittedly, twin skin) we just use normal matt white emulsion, single coat, applied with a brush, no a mist coat.

Did half of it on cheepy own brand and the second half in Dulux. The later was impressively more white that then own brand and not more much expensive. No issues with either 10 years on. Makes it much brighter inside.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back