Painting external rendering ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, our bungalow has an external rendering of render a pebble dash. (I hope 'pebble dash' makes sense ? stone chippings ?) Although the condition is passable at the moment, the front of the bungalow faces out west (Wales) in an elevated position and I don't think it has too many years left in it.
I have seen quite a few houses and cottages that appear to have been painted over the rendering. If there was a type of paint and a method for applying it I would like to try it out. Any ideas much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi all, our bungalow has an external rendering of render a pebble dash. (I hope 'pebble dash' makes sense ? stone chippings ?) Although the condition is passable at the moment, the front of the bungalow faces out west (Wales) in an elevated position and I don't think it has too many years left in it.
I have seen quite a few houses and cottages that appear to have been painted over the rendering. If there was a type of paint and a method for applying it I would like to try it out. Any ideas much appreciated.

would you not be better of with a re-harl? If its just a bungalow you wont need much scaffold and there is a wide range of chips(pebbles) you can choose from. Some really nice colours. If not them im sure your local b&q will stock paint for the job. Just ask one of the (helpfull) staff

Hi and thanks, a re-render job is not financially viable at the moment. So I thought there might be a paint method I could use for now. Paint from BBQ is easy enough but wouldn't it have to be sprayed on as a brush would dislodge stones as you painted ?

Hi and thanks, a re-render job is not financially viable at the moment. So I thought there might be a paint method I could use for now. Paint from BBQ is easy enough but wouldn't it have to be sprayed on as a brush would dislodge stones as you painted ?

if you were looking to get the bungalow re roughcasted again in the future then painting it will add even more costs.painting is just hiding the problems imo but if needs must. Never had to paint roughcast(and hope never to) but if i was to then id try a small panel first with just a thick brush and make sure im putting plenty paint on, so its slightly running down the wall. This should cover any holes and gaps between stones. If this didnt work then id try the sprayer

Sponsored Links
Thanks dmp, I do see your point about painting. I might get a quote and see what it would cost.
OR, would a DIY job be out of the question do you think ?

Thanks dmp, I do see your point about painting. I might get a quote and see what it would cost.
OR, would a DIY job be out of the question do you think ?

Diy as in painting or roughcast?

Painting no problem
roughcast diy no chance without previous experience

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back