Painting fibrous plaster cornice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just screwed up fibrous plaster cornice in an edwardian house. I'm ready to paint it but I'm not sure of the right method. I was thinking of putting on a coat of stabalising solution then emulsion. It's cost a fortune to do so I want to use the right method................once you've told me what it is!

Sponsored Links
Fibrous plaster will accept any paint system providing the first coat is thinned, so a mistcoat first would be fine. Yet I always prefer to apply a thinned oil based undercoat as the first coat.

Dec

Undercoat..............that's interesting, why that and not thinned primer?

Sponsored Links
The only need here is to offer a bond to the plaster in order to apply future coats of paint, a thinned emulsion will offer this yet I choose to use a thinned undercoat as the first coat. This is not a situation in the general sense of the term a primer is required.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back