Painting flat ceiling speaker grilles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to paint 52x 8" metal ceiling speaker grilles.

The ceilings are all in magnolia but the speakers are white. The paint is quite think. I was thinking of mixing it with water and painting it on with a brush?

And if I can ask another question to save starting another thread... I didn't order any fire protector things for the back of the speakers. Are these compulsory and will my building inspector ask to see them?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Fire hoods - Depends if there's living space above the rooms where the speakers are installed. If there is then speaker hoods need to be fitted.

Whether you "get away with it" with the building inspector kind of misses the point. Plasterboard slows the spread of a fire. It should contain it for 30 minutes from spreading and trapping you and your loved ones on the floor above. What you've done is cut big holes in that protection and then filled them with lumps of plastic that will melt. Then of course there's how fast a fire will spread before the fire brigade can get there. And finally, there's what happens after a fire once the insurance investigators have had a look at the contributing factors. So, what do you think about fire hoods now. A good idea or not?

Painting the grilles: Remove them and spray with a diluted mix of paint and water.

Thanks for the advice. Now I understand. My 9mth old daughter's room is directly above the main lounge.

Fire hoods purchased and being installed this weekend :mrgreen:

I painted my ceiling speaker grills with eggshell in the same colour worked absolutely fine no need to spray brushing work surprisingly well!

Sponsored Links
I painted my ceiling speaker grills with eggshell in the same colour worked absolutely fine no need to spray brushing work surprisingly well!

So just a really soft fine brush? Don't you get brush lines as it's metal?

No, I was surprised how well they came out just 2 coats but don't paint the sides as they won't push back in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back