Painting garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I hope you can help me, We've moved into a house which has a 10 year old Hormann GRP fibre glass wood grain garage door which has dulled with age. I want to paint it a mahogany colour. What paint do I use? Exterior paint? What prep do I need to do? Can I just rub down, sugar soap and paint?

Many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
with fibreglass I would just clean off with sugar soap ( I prefer houshold ammonia). Dont abrade glassfibre or upvc, it can harm the surface. I normally just give one or two coats of gloss. No undercoat.....
Dulux Weathershield exterior gloss is good on outside plastics, it's flexible..
good luck
John

Snap!
Our house is 10 years old with the same problem. We contacted the door suppliers and were advised to give it a coat with thinned old oil. This would revive the antiqued look. I did give this a go but the smell was awful and the result only lasted a week.

Our door is exceptionally pale and if we varnished it there would certainly be no dark mahogany grained colour sealed in.

A number of people down the road have painted and that looks awful, please post a result if you find one.
Thanks
Jan

Sponsored Links
Dont think you will ever get back that original mohagany colour. Its like photocopied and once sun has done it's job the cheque has cleared and manufacturer comes out with stupid remedies like oil :rolleyes:
I usually paint with a deep brown colour somthing like Dulux 'Conker'
as mentioned above dont use undercoat just gloss on fibreglass.
I saw a bloke using woodstain then exterior varnish to protect. But I have to say it looks erm duff. tch maintenance frreee eh :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back