Painting kitchen cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please help me with some advice on painting over wooden kitchen cabinets.they have been waxed previously,what is the best primer to use on them so they can be painted with water based white satin,is zinsser bin ok as this will seal the knots and stop any staining coming through many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You've got to get the wax off or nothing will work.

You'd do better with oil based. Water based is hard to apply without brushmarks. (Surface tension).

Sponsored Links
My bread and butter used to be hand painting MDF cabinets. One day i decided to try BIN as the primer. I wanted something that wouldn't raise the grain. The bookcase was 5m long and 2.m tall.

Applying the BIN evenly was virtually impossible so I decided to roll it rather than use my Anza paint pads. At the time I wasn't too worried about the orange peel effect, I planned to sand it back. I massively underestimated how much harder BIN is than WB primer. What would have taken 2 days to sand flat if I had used WB ended up taking 4 days.

That was the one and only time I used BIN as a primer for cabinets.

Zinsser recommend using Bulls Eye see page 19 http://www.zinsserdirect.co.uk/zinsser/pdf/pocket.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back