Knots showing through paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wooden stairs. My husband painted the stairs without using knotting solution and prime. The steps have small dark circle holes. I looked at some youtube videos and all suggest different process. I thought to do the following, please let me know if the order is ok and any suggestions;
  1. To apply wood filler on the knots and other cracks.
  2. To sand it down the knots and cracks.
  3. To apply the knotting solution, do I need to use if I am going to use Zinsser BIN Primer-Sealer stain killer?
  4. To use Zinsser BIN Primer-Sealer stain killer or Bulls Eye 1 2 3 stain killer for wooden stairs as a primer. To apply two coats.

Attachments

• Wooden stairs 1.png
    Wooden stairs 1.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Wooden stairs 2.png
    Wooden stairs 2.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
BIN (two coats) should do fine it is better than standard knotting as it is white.
Spot treating would be OK too, but you will need an undercoat over it as it is well known to "flash" (showing through the top coat because it has a different finish) if done in patches.

Those images look like screw holes and not knots.

Just fill them, sand back, and prime.

BIN is pretty much the same as knotting solution, by that I mean that it is a shellac based product, rather than regular (and cheaper knotting solution), it has white pigment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back