Painting Kitchen Cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have previously painted my kitchen cupboards in crown cupboard makeover. It looks really nice but it is not very durable. I have lots of chips around the handles of draws and cupboards. I re-coated it about 4 mths ago and it needs doing again already.

I want to do it again but use something that is going to last. I also want to have a high gloss finish in a brilliant white that is cleanable. The doors are solid wood and currently have the crown paint on. So questions are:

Best way to prep the doors considering the previous paint?

Whats the best paint to use to achieve the look I want with durability?

What is the best way to apply the paint so as not to have brush strokes (although the natural wood grain does help to hide any I do make)?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Bobsy

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have lots of chips around the handles of draws and cupboards.

Bobsy

First brush off the chips and then try Cif - it is good for that sort of greasy stain.

Seriously though, the only way to make your doors look like new is to replace them. It's a waste of time brushing them.

replacing the doors is not a option at the moment. Kitchen needs replacing as the actual units are old and slowing falling apart. Don't want to spend lots of money on buying new doors as the kitchen will be replaced in a couple of years. Would just like it to look nice between now and then.

Oh, and I don't find that Cif removes grease very well, my personal preference is flash, much better IMO :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Oh great, only been a member of the site for a couple of hours and my secrets are already out :LOL:

on a serious note though, can anyone help me? (with the painting, not in general, I know there is no hope there :D )

The problem is that you've already got a paint layer on it that's chipping. I doubt that you'll be able to get that off to apply a new coat.

The best way is really to spray them with car paint. That's the only way you'll get that hard high gloss effect you are looking for.

Oh and stop talking about 'members'. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back