Painting laminate...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to paint some Ikea laminate furniture.
Most articles out there recommend Zinsser BIN, but I have some Oswatrol E.S.P left over from painting some vinyl wrap kitchen doors.
Will the latter do the job, or is the Zinsser a better option?

As the items are going to be painted white, there is also the oil/waterbased - yellowing/hardness issue. Would prefer non yellowing, and Johnstones aqua paint comes up when looking online. Is it a relatively hard finish, or are there better options?

Sponsored Links
ESP is good stuff but you will need undercoat as unlike Zinsser (I would go for Zinsser Bullseye 123 not BIN for this) it dries clear, OK if the board is white.
Zinsser needs about an hour to dry for another paint to be applied BUT it takes about 3 weeks to cure so any rough treatment of the surface finish before that can cause it to scrape off.
Aqua is pretty good but use their undercoat first, having said that it does chip like any other paint not good for a tabletop for example.

The new blockade from smith and rodger is much better than Zinnserr and cheaper but thats just my opinion

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back