Painting MDF radiator cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just put together a radiator cover for our hall and I want to paint it the same colour as the wall so in just blends in.
It states that you cannot use waterbased paint. We have used Dulux Soft Sheen finish on the walls and was hoping to use the same paint! Any suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
You need to seal it with mdf primer first. My guess is that its to absorbant for water based paint.

But maybe if you seal it twice you will be ok.

The best way I find to paint MDF is to use oilbase products, and you can buy a small tin of oilbase satinwood or eggshell and get it made up in the same colour as your wall.
But you would have to undercoat the rad cover at least twice, the first time really thin down your undercoat with white spirit, as the mdf will absorb the first and even the second coat, then do 2 top coats, specially if its satin or eggshell.

However, I have just finished painting boxing in using MDF, the client wanted it emulsioned the same colour as the wall.
So, I applied a really thin watery first coat of the colour, and a second watery coat, but not as thin as the first, and then applied 2 good coats, and it looks very nice.

Dont forget to slightly sand between each coat though :D

I made some exhibition displays at work out of mdf and needed to paint them in the corporate emulsion paint. I "primed" the mdf with a dilute soltuion of PVA glue - probably about 4 parts water to 1 part PVA and the emulsion took to it a treat. The PVA does lift the "grain" of the MDF, so to speak, so, as mentioned, a rub down before painting is important.

Unprimed, the MDF is so absorbent that it is just sucks all the water out of the paint. With the PVA you can let it have as good a drink as it wants. Even give it a couple of applications: the first will be dry within an hour.

Sponsored Links
It states that you cannot use waterbased paint.
I usually use acrylic primer undercoat.
It only says that because it will lift the grain a little. I have used just emulsion on these covers (and larger things) many times and no problem, Thin first coat, when dry, lightly abrade with 100grit and a light de nib between coats. It wont come off ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back