MDF Radiator Cover Paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can someone please recommend a paint to use on an MDF radiator cover? Its going to be plain white but I need something that will leave a nice even finish because I know what a pain MDF is to paint! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Prime it first.
I sprayed the grill on mine & used Dulux gloss white to finish.

use a foam radiator roller and dont try to cover in 1 coat,rub down between coats .. 1 primer, 2 undercoats and then a top coat of gloss or betterstill satinwood. the grill is a pain to coat but spraying is the best way..

on Mdf I use dulux acrylic primer undercoat as a primer.. It raises the grain a little but a light rub over with 180 then 2 coats of thinned gloss.. looks like factory finished :cool: .

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, what do I thin the gloss with and would any of you advise to spray the grill gold rather than white?

I also noticed that the grill is only held with staples so I could remove this and fit a decorarive metal grill as sold in B&Q or shall I just keep it simple?

I painted my rad covers (4 off them & big) this way.
I used MDF primer & primed all over.
I then rubbed it down, removed the dust
Then sprayed the grills using appliance white spray paint (yes I know its for metal, but it works well). I sprayed from all directions many many coats.
When I was happy with that I used Dulux non drip gloss (straight from the can). I let this dry & rubbed down using fine WET & DRY paper, Dried it off painted again.
Very good job I thought.

BYTW, I had to cut & shut 2 of the rad covers to make my size I filled the join with car body filler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back