MDF skirting board - can you get a decent finish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm about to order some new skirting boards online. I'm planning to paint them satin white, and have seen in the sheds that MDF skirting/dado comes with a white finish coat that you simply paint directly on to.

However, the MDF skirting board I'm lloking at is simply MDF with no such white covering. Whenever I've painted bare MDF before it comes out pretty bad requiring lots of sanding to get it looking anywhere near decent.

Would I be better off ordering the same profile in perhaps pine and then painting that to get a better finish?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Get it in pine you still have to rub it down.
Its about price.
My dado was mdf pre primed, I rubbed it down & re primed, then painted, Im happy with the finish.

I prefered the mdf rather that worrying about knots.

Hi guys,

However, the MDF skirting board I'm lloking at is simply MDF with no such white covering. Whenever I've painted bare MDF before it comes out pretty bad requiring lots of sanding to get it looking anywhere near decent.

thanks in advance
did you use MDF primer :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back