painting 'white' mdf skirting and window boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've recently fitted a new MDF window board and MDF skirting from Wickes that all came with that white coating (primer?) that I now want to paint with Satinwood paint. Do I need to undercoat them before I paint or can I just paint straight onto the white finish with satinwood straight away?

Also, where I've had to make cuts to the wood to get them to fit, I now have exposed bare MDF on the ends in places. presumably I'll need to prime and undercoat these before I paint the whole lot in satinwood?

Thanks in advance for any help, Phil

Sponsored Links
Just prime the end grain with acrylic primer. Then lightly sand with 240 grit silicone carbide paper.

No extra undercoat will be needed.

Just fitted MDF primed skirting and architraves throughout my entire house. I too thought gloss / satinwood would go straight on but it doesnt - I had to undercoat it first.

Sponsored Links
Just fitted MDF primed skirting and architraves throughout my entire house. I too thought gloss / satinwood would go straight on but it doesnt - I had to undercoat it first.

What do you mean when you say it doesn't go on?

If you mean that the colour obliteration is poor then this could be the paint quality rather than the substrate.

I did omit to mention that waterbased finishes over the (waterbased) primer will be a pig. Theat said, waterbased finishes are inferior with regard to flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back