When To Use Undercoat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to paint over some doors and architrave with satinwood, they are currently painted with gloss.

Do I need to apply an undercoat first or can I just sand down a little then put the satinwood straight on.

Also with skirting and window board that comes ready primed can I just put satinwood straight on without undercoating?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Satinwood is self undercoating so its just two coats after thorough prep ie a good rub down and not a tickle. If your using a water based satin you need to take all the shine off the gloss with hard rubbing down

+1 for dcdec. Prefer Satinwood over u/c & gloss. But remember preperation is the key!!! failing to prepare is preparing to fail (or something like that)

Ok, thanks for that. so no undercoat for the ready primed skirting/window board either?

Sponsored Links
dcdec,

Hope you and family are in good health, yes mate it's been a long time since I was on here last. Truth is I've retired mate and only do restoration for some antique dealers, good to here from you again.

PS any news about Mr H he seems to have vanished also.

Dec

Old pink overalls breezes in from time to time (Mr H) I think he said he's been to America.

Good on you dec, enjoy your retirement and stay happy and healthy and don't be a stranger!

Decorators can never retire !!! LOL :eek: My dad was still painting at 76 and his grandad at 79 !!!! Think ive got a few more years to go !!

Hello Robbie,

All keeping well your end my friend, there is an old saying mate that decorators never die they just hang up their brushes lol.

Well I've been at it for 45 years + and I've decided that it's time to take a back seat and leave it more to the younger ones mate.

Take care

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back