Undercoat for Satinwood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got skirting and architrave to paint, which I intend to do with satinwood. Now, at the moment, the wood is bare. I've treated the knots, and what I wanted to know is, can I use a waterbased acrylic quick drying undercoat primer since it is bare wood, and then doublecoat with the satinwood? Also, which is better to use, waterbased or solventbased satinwood? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its fine to use a water based primer ,I find that with satinwood you would get a good finish if you use the primer first,then sand down gently and apply a second coat of the primer/undercoat.When this is dry it should give you a very good base to then apply either water based or solvent based stinwood.Because you are working with new wood the extra coat of primer/undercoat will ensure a great finish !
As for using either water based or solvent satinwood it really is a case of personal choice,water based to me tends to smell less,but with satinwood the drying time is similar with both products nowdays.

Good luck,Phill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back