Dulux Satinwood question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had new skirting boards fitted and a new landing balustrade. My doorframes have also been stripped down to bare wood.

I would like to finish the spindles, skirting boards and door frames with Satinwood as i'm not a fan of the glossy look.

I understand there are two variants of Satinwood, an oil based and a water based.

Which is the one to go for?

I've read the water based one does not require a primer/undercoat on bare wood?

Sponsored Links
Me personally would go for Oil Based one.......................cos more hard wearing to knocks etc...........

Pros and cons for both, it depends on your circumstances and the environment your working in.

Water based...Pro's.....quick drying, low odour, less chance of a run or sag, non yellowing, fairly easy to apply...bit like emulsion...but personally id still use a primer and dont forget to use knotting on the knots, splits and resinous areas....Cons the quick drying can be a hinderence too...you may find brush marks wont flow out, the paint film isnt as durable as oil based

Oil based...Pro's......traditional painting techniques can be used, harder paint film, brush marks should flow out.......Cons.....slower drying, quite a high odour, will yellow over time (but not as quick as gloss)

Some people say that satinwood looks like a cheap gloss with a poor sheen..other like it.....eggshell is a flatter option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back