Painting MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just finished building some alcove cupboards out of a mixture of softwood and MDF. I'd like to paint them this week so I'm after a bit of advice...

Firstly, I've read varying recommendations for painting MDF. What is the best way of sealing it? PVA/water dilution? MDF primer?

The shelves are of MDF and I've routed the edges. The router has left MDF "fur" that I'd like to minimize before painting. How can I best deal with this? Just using a 240 grit paper makes it worse. Should I seal it and then sand?

I'd like to use an eggshell type of paint as my top coat. Can anyone recommend one? I'm close to both a Dulux Trade and Crown Trade outlet...

That's about it for now...I'm sure I'll have some more questions....

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I'm only a DIY'er but did the same a while ago.

I got good results using an MDF primer http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pai...ers & Undercoat/MDF Primer/d150/sd3006/p50498

I sanded with a orbital sander, primed the MDF and edges, lightly sanded again.

To paint, I layed the door down on some upturn screws screwed through some scrap would so just the screw points were touching the door. I used dulux trade eggshell applied with a gloss roller.

Paint the back, flip over and paint the front at the same time to avoid any bowing in the doors.

Did two coats, sanding between each coat and using tacky rag (Bougth from Brewers) to remove dust.

Worked for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back