Painting MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've made some shelves to o inside a built in wardrobe using MDF and now at the stage of painting them.
I've given them 3 coats of crown MDF primer and looking to topcoat/ finish them.

What's the best way of top coating them to get a smooth finish without brush marks?
I'm looking for a matt finish rather than gloss so now sure what paint to use either?

Sponsored Links
either spray them,which isnt helpful if all ready fitted ;)
or use a roller.

If its a completely smooth finish then use a fine tip synthetic brush along with a non quick drying paint such as an oil based satin, not completely Matt finish but has a very low sheen.

Dead flat oil will give you a very flat finish, add owatrol to aid flow and levelling. BUT it will yellow inside a cupboard

ordinarily i would use oilbased eggshell, but if yellowing is a concern then you may want to consider water based eggshell (with floetrol to aid flowing).

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips, I'll try the roller(lack of sprayer!) using an water based eggshell from what I can gather.
Are any paints better than others?
Will eggshell not give a shine?

I realise that I'm being picky but there was already a shelf fitted which appears to be MDF but with a coating of some kind on it so I'm trying to match it as closely as I can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back