gloss finish on MDF shelves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A local handy man has built some shelves in our alvoces. They are MDF tops with Mdf strip at the front. There were bare wood when he finished.

So I set about trying to paint them and get them up to a lovely brilliant white gloss.

I went down to wickes and asked one of the guys there for advice and left the store with £40 less in my pocket and 1 can of MDF primer and 1 can of Onecoat Cupboard paint. Last night I sanded down the shelving with 240 grade paper, wiped them and the put a coat of primer on. This evening I went over them again with 240 and painted one set of shelves in the Onecoat cupboard paint. It was a ballache and it took 2 hours to paint 4 shelves.

It's not dry yet but already I am not happy with the finish and it looks like it will need another coat of paint.

Any tips to get a better finish on the other set of shelves? Should I just go and get a pot of Onecoat gloss? Also if I have to put a second coat on do I sand down between?

Sponsored Links
well im not a dec,but i would use proper primer/undercoat and gloss.
but 1 thing you shouldve bought would be a rad roller get it all done in 3/4 of the time.

I find that one coat finishes for a Professional looking finish, are usless, ok for the DIYer, but dont expect better.
For a Good finish use "Trade" Paint these paints are formulated for the professional, and you cant beat a good quality Paint Brush.

Not what you want to hear, but I would get some Zinsser 123 primer and apply this first - it is a primer (duh !) sealer and acts as a bridging coat. Then some Johnstones Aqua water based undercoat and Aqua gloss - also water based. A coat of the primer, one of the undercoat and 2 of the gloss will give you a good finish especially if you give a light sand down between the gloss coats.

All are water based and dry very quickly, and as said before a decent gloss roller will cut the time down too. A decent synthetic brush will also be well worth the investment - a Purdy or Corona is well worth the few extra pounds and are easy to clean - a drop of hair conditioner is worth using in the final rinse !
As for the time it takes - I would expect to spend 2-3 minutes painting one side of a shelf, maybe an extra minute if it is in situ and needs careful cutting in - no idea why it took you so long, but again, the paints I am suggesting do not need too much spreading and thinning out so don't spent too much time going over it. A drop of water added to the paint will help it flow, though if you really want to make life easy for you then add some Floetrol (a paint conditioner that extends open time) but at £15 it may be too much..!
One coat paints are not very good in my opinion though the B and Q type places sell plenty of them to people who just want to get a quick result and don't care much about the result.

Sponsored Links
Can anyone advise on where I can buy the Johnstones Aqua? I have just prepped all my skirtings and doors in the house and was about to use an oil-based gloss when I read about the yellowing that occurs a few months after applying. I am just a normal diy-er and usually buy my stuff from the local hardware store or b&q/wickes. Can't seem to find the Johnstones products on their websites. Any help would be appreciated. Only think I need the one tin for now.

http://www.johnstonestrade.com/store-finder.aspx

Even if not close to you they will deliver

I imagine most independent paint suppliers ought to be able to get it in for you in 24-48 hours.
It is well worth using the Aqua undercoat I am told but as I have never used it without I cannot comment !

Remember that if you don't use floetrol then a good splash of water added to the gloss will help it flow - some say to spray the surface with a mist of water. This stuff dries out quickly so can leave brushmarks so a humid working place is good. Floetrol is about £15 for a litre which goes a long way but may be too much for you but saves all this messing about - don't forget to dampen down your brushes first too !

Found my local supplier on the Johnstonestrade website. Many thanks. Will also take on your other advice. Appreciate it.

Good luck - its a pleasure to be able to help !
So often I am asking for help on here so it makes a change to be able to give something back from my limited knowledge...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back