MDF Paint Finishes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had some MDF cabinets made for me. I asked for them to be painted in a matt finish, but they have been spray painted really smooth, similar to that of fitted wardrobes. I now think I should have asked for them to be hand painted? Is it possible to re-paint them? Or can I give them a light sanding to make them matt?

Sponsored Links
You're a bit muddled as any good finish should be smooth, i think maybe you're reffering to the sheen level and be it painted by hand or spray that wont make much difference

If spraying has been done by an experienced sprayer you'll be hard pushed to find a better finish, especially on furniture. However the only thing that crosses my mind to 'dull' down the finish is to rub it down with a high grade of wet and dry, its risky though but if you're going to re-paint it it'll need rubbing down anyway. The three most common finishes are eggshell, satin and gloss, eggshell being the lowest sheen and gloss the highest. Farrow and ball used to do a dead flat oil but all their stuff is water based now so don't know if its available, i'm sure dulux do one as well but couldn't vouch for it with the new 2010 recipe.

You could also try a matt clear varnish. Test a bit where it wont be seen let it dry and see what it looks like.

There are methods available to reduce the sheen on polished surfaces, the most common would be a very fine abrasive used in combination with a waxing agent. This method is well proven within the french polishing and antique restoration side of the trade, another method would be the use of pummice powder.

Yet I dont feel at this time that you should attempt those methods for they remain to be a very skilled operation. The innovation of the new 2010 coatings has had a great impact within the trade, retarded drying times and higher sheen levels to name but two, yet the sheen levels will revert back to normality given time.

My advice therefore would be to leave well alone and perhaps allow time for your paint system to revert back toward your choosen finish.

Dec.

Sponsored Links
Mdf coating has very thin coatings as it can show pinholes that are very tricky on sharp corners. Mdf coating is better than the liquid paints as it is harder then it.

mdf coating

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back