MDF paint finishes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had some MDF cabinets made for me. I asked for them to be painted in a matt finish, but they have been spray painted really smooth, similar to that of fitted wardrobes. I now think I should have asked for them to be hand painted? Is it possible to re-paint them? Or can I give them a light sanding to make them matt?

Sponsored Links
Smooth and matt are not mutually exclusive. Matt means low sheen, doesn't reflect light as easily as gloss, which is a bit erm shiny.
Gloss can also be smooth.

Spray painting is usually far superior to brush or roller painting. A much more professional finish.

Go back to whoever did the job and ask them what to do, as they will have known what the product was and how best to use it.
Sometimes a rubbing down with some very fine wire wool, very fine sandpaper or a plastic scouring pad will dull a shiny finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back