Painting MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to get a 2 in 1 product (primer and paint) for MDF. When painting the end grain I am getting patchy results but can not afford the time for a two stage process.

Sponsored Links
Try mixing some pva with the paint, if its emulsion that is.

Sorry! Forgot to specify - I am using cellulose paint in a spray gun, what I am looking for needs to be applied using the same method due to painting large quantity. Any ideas?

I'm afraid there are no real shortcuts... :cry:

(spent a while in the spray shop of a shopfitting company)

It might be worth applying an un-thinned base coat by brush prior to spraying. This can then be sanded and then prime all the other surfaces together.

Trouble is MDF end grain is like a sponge, so you will not get enough paint on by spraying (you will end up with runs over the flat surfaces by over spraying to much)

Unless of course, you are spraying lots of pieces you can stack and spray all the edges together???

Use a couple of dust coats initially, then a good thick coat.

I wouldn't recomend using anything other than a cellulose based primer as cellulose paints react to most other paints, I think?? If memory serves me correct!!!

Hope that helps. :D

Sponsored Links
I allways use a sealer for my first coat on new work,not good to look for short cuts here.

I have found a way to get excellent results painting the cut/sanded/routered edges of MDF boards. Prior to painting, just take some Drywall Taping Compound with your finger and lightly cover those edges. Let dry, then lightly sand with 400 grit sand paper.

Paint away. It will remain very very smooth. I hope this helps. :LOL:

i always use a slight smear of decorartors caulking and then wipe it smooth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back