Painting new internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had some new internal doors fitted - they're from B&Q. They were painted white when I bought them but I'm not sure if this is intended to be an undercoat or a finish. Anyhow I'd like to freshen them up a bit with a satin or eggshell finish. Because they already have a layer of paint, does this mean I won't need to prime them?

Cheers!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Assume it's a sprayed Primer coat. It's probably got dirty fingerprints and other marks in it by now.

I find the water-based acrylic primer/undercoat is handy for internal work, not much smell, dries fast, easy to wipe over with a fine paper to get the nibs off - give it a couple of coats before the finish.

The doors come with a primer/undercoat on them, they are very greyish in appearance.
I have painted loads of these doors, and they come up lovely, like john says, undercoat then a couple coats of satinwood or eggshell, if your going to gloss them instead, I would undercoat twice then gloss.

Many thanks for the hints - I'm now looking forward to having nice clean doors throughout the house.

Tony

Sponsored Links
What they said...and use a rad roller on them, because they have a spray finish there is a slight orange peal texture anyway so it wonr notice if you roll them, I cut edges in then the mouldings in with a 1-1/2 inch brush...then roll the rest with a shortish pile radiator roller

Satin or eggshell look the best INO gloss can give them a cheapish appearance.

If you choose a good quality satin or eggshell you may get away with two coats..not easy though

Why door manufacturers coat them with that grey/green primer is beyond me :rolleyes: ..maybe for the same reason the use grey paper on plasterboard coving..

easy to wipe over with a fine paper to get the nibs off

lol what nibs? :D

By the way, I'm spooked at seeing this thread today because I've just been priming some new internal doors. I used Dulux Primer. Have to use 2 coats and then a final coat of the finishing paint of your choice.

By the way, I would advise just using 1 coat if the door has already been primed/ painted etc. Then use a final coat of satin or whatever you wish ;).

A professional tip: Never paint the sides of doors! :rolleyes:

Tozzy said:
easy to wipe over with a fine paper to get the nibs off

lol what nibs? :D

By the way, I'm spooked at seeing this thread today because I've just been priming some new internal doors. I used Dulux Primer. Have to use 2 coats and then a final coat of the finishing paint of your choice.

By the way, I would advise just using 1 coat if the door has already been primed/ painted etc. Then use a final coat of satin or whatever you wish ;).

A professional tip: Never paint the sides of doors! :rolleyes:

Leave them in bare wood?

Leave them in bare wood?

I wouldn't really recommend this due to warpage. All untreated should be......treated :D by means of either using primer or varnish/ stain.

By the way, I do actually have some doors that have not been treated for 4 years (they never were treated to begin with) and they warp right throughout the summer, sometimes even making it impossible to open and close.

So go on, treat your doors to something special. They deserve it ;).

when you say the sides is that the 1" edge of the door? mine are shop primed at the moment and look a bit grubby. Is it best to just leave them be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back