Painting internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to paint some internal primed wood doors, purchased Dulux Trade Diamond Quick-Drying Eggshell Paint Pure Brilliant White

Hopefully I've purchased the right paint! Has anyone used this paint? Any tips?

Would it be best to use a mini foam roller?

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
i like the smooth finish from a roller myself. give the door a light sanding before painting.

Don't forget to key the surface first. I have seen cases where people used it straight over existing oil based eggshell and didn't sand first. Years later, the paint didn't pass the finger nail test.

Personally I do not like the finish achieved by using rollers. If the door is panelled I want to see very slight tram lines (brush marks) that run along the grain of the wood and terminate neatly where the style and rails meet. Contrary to popular belief, you cannot get a sprayed look with a roller. Even when spraying waterbased finishes you often need to use additives such as Floetrol. Floetrol is a great additive, it helps you to maintain a wet edge when painting with waterbased paints, thereby reducing brush or roller marks. It isn't cheap though. Unlike using water it doesn't compromise the quality of finish, the oil based counterpart is called Owatrol oil.

If you want to use a roller, I would recommend using the short nap mohair (aka micro fibre) rollers. Foam rollers tend to leave air bubbles in any thing thicker than spirit based wood dyes (which in turn are thinner than water).

Sponsored Links
Small foam roller and a brush, if the door is other than flat. Cut in with the brush first, then use the roller. Easier if the doors are laid flat to paint.

It's the same paint as I used on our internal doors, skirting and other woodwork. It needed two coats in places.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back