Eggshell, a few Qs on paint types, trade v retail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few questions for the paint experts, any advice appreciated.

1. Can anyone explain to me the difference between Dulux trade eggshell and the retail version apart from the cost, about an extra £8?

2. I have just started painting the internal doors in my house and instead of using the trade paint from b&q I opted for the retail, don't ask me why. Anyway, I painted a couple of panelled doors last night on the landing and I am not happy! The paint was like water and causing run after run which I have never had a problem with before. Also, the finish to me looks like gloss, it has a very shiny finish, not what I was expecting from eggshell. Has Dulux changed their paint over the past couple of years?

I have used trade Dulux eggshell and satinwood in the past and the finish has been good, low sheen and easy to apply. Off to buy the trade paint this lunchtime!

3. Would I be ok to just rub down the doors (again) that I painted last night and apply either trade eggshell or satinwood straight over?

4. What is the difference between white and pure brilliant white?

5. Would you recommend satinwood over eggshell, this is for hall, stairs and landing?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
With Dulux, if its got "Trade" on the tin then its the best that they do, usually has a few more key ingriedients in it making it better.
Personally wouldnt use any Home brand paint, Dulux is only a couple of pound dearer and you get what you pay for.
Eggshell doesnt have as much of a sheen as satinwood but it has an open grain that lets dirty marks into it. Satinwood gives a similar finish but has the durability of gloss. You can wipe it to your hearts content.

Pure brilliant white is whiter then normal white, Get the Trade pure brilliant white and youve got the best.

Thanks Robbie, I bought the Dulux trade pure brilliant white yesterday which I should have done in the first place (serves me right for being tight) - I painted a couple of doors last night and no problems, finish is excellent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back