Painting over eggshell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I painted my hall walls with Dulux trade diamond eggshell white. I want to changed to grey matt emulsion now. The grey is not taking very well over the eggshell. Do I need to do a step before the grey ?

Sponsored Links
Probably wants a light sand over to give the paint something to bond too, not to heavy a grit otherwise you will have scratches all over, if it still not taking then maybe a coat of Zinsser 123, but that is expensive.

Probably wants a light sand over to give the paint something to bond too, not to heavy a grit otherwise you will have scratches all over, if it still not taking then maybe a coat of Zinsser 123, but that is expensive.
I have some deluxe trade eggshell leftover in white and tbh I wouldnt mind a eggshell finish. Do you think if I mix some white eggshell in with grey matt it will make it adhere better. I am not fussed if the grey goes lighter ?

It's more to do with the finish that the eggshell leaves making it hard for paints to adhere properly to it, you have to prep it like you would do woodwork as this is where is more commonly used, if you don't you will find the new paint will only sit on top and will probably peel off like a face mask ( the wife uses not me :cautious:)

Sponsored Links
It's more to do with the finish that the eggshell leaves making it hard for paints to adhere properly to it, you have to prep it like you would do woodwork as this is where is more commonly used, if you don't you will find the new paint will only sit on top and will probably peel off like a face mask ( the wife uses not me :cautious:)
Might sounds crazy but would adding a little gloss make it more washable.

Last edited:
yea, I have used a cheap normal water based varnish before in the past that seemed to work OK, but if you need a more washable fininsh then may be easier just to use anothjer type of paint altogether in the colour mixed.

yea, I have used a cheap normal water based varnish before in the past that seemed to work OK, but if you need a more washable finish then may be easier just to use anothjer type of paint altogether in the colour mixed.
I have spare dulux trade eggshell paint. 2 x 5 liter still. Do you think I could add some black Indian ink and get it to grey ?

That Polyvine varnish I think I would need about 6 liters so that would be really expensive. Is there a alternative ?

Thanks

I have no idea what the black Indian ink would do to the paint so you could always try a bit in a pot and see what it does, as I said I have used a few coats of cheap water based varnish in the past, if you pop in to your local trade paint shop they may be able to advise you the better option, What ever you try just try on a small area first to make sure it does not have any bad effects to the finished job.

I have no idea what the black Indian ink would do to the paint so you could always try a bit in a pot and see what it does, as I said I have used a few coats of cheap water based varnish in the past, if you pop in to your local trade paint shop they may be able to advise you the better option, What ever you try just try on a small area first to make sure it does not have any bad effects to the finished job.
How do you pain over the varnish in future ?

Right I have got to the bottom of it. The paint has dried ok. However it can just wash off. I have phoned the person who made it and he has said it is a flat contract matt.

So there it is a CONTRACT matt with no vinyl in or anything.

I have just phoned another supplier who I get Dulux Diamond Matt or eggshells of and he has give me his contact who mixes his paint to colour's.

So here is the question.

If I get some of the Diamond Eggsheel or Diamond Matt mixed to the exact colour of the normal contract Grey matt I got. Then based the walls with the contract and top coat with the Dulux now grey Eggshell. I take it this will work ?

Also the person who mixed the contract has said if I take it up he will add some Latex or silk in to make it more washable. Is there any point in doing this is I go over with Grey Eggshell. I take it not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back