Eggshell for bathroom? Brands?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, our bathroom is being redone, and half of the walls and the ceiling will need to be repainted. I'm not 100% sure what it was painted with before, but my best guess is Valspar K&B, it looks alright, no issues with the surface.

Am I right in saying Eggshell is the best choice for a matt finish in bathrooms and kitchens? - If so, I'll 100% need white for the ceiling, and possibly a colour for the walls (tbd). I think I used some Dulux Diamond Trade Eggshell before in white for my kitchen and it seemed okay - is that the best choice for white?

If I need a colour mixed, is the Valspar Eggshell decent enough?

Lastly, this is going to be a combo of painted walls, mid grey, white ceiling, and a portion between the celling and walls where coving has been removed which is bare plaster... I will clean the existing paint first, but how best should I prepare the surface before the eggshell? - I obviously want to avoid any cracking/peeling etc...

I do have some Zinzzer 123 at my disposal, but wondering if I should mist coat the bare bits, then do an undercoat or what really!

I can supply pics later when the bathroom people are out!

Sponsored Links
I had Johnstones eggshell, mixed... works well on wood as well as walls.

If it's raw plaster, add a mist coat first, allow to dry before you start with the eggshell.

Thanks Mr Chibs. If the thin sections of plaster are mist coated, will I need to prime everywhere before using the eggshell, or will 2 coats of that be enough - I think I read somewhere it's self priming.

Waterbased eggshells are sometimes sold as self priming but I would recommend using a primer (in your case, a mist coat). The primary reason is that if you need to sand any newly visible high spots, the primer will be easier to sand.

With your white ceiling, other than the mist coat where the coving was removed, I would recommend you apply some white emulsion over those areas as well. White eggshell isn't great at obliterating darker colours (read: the colour of plaster with only one mist coat).

2 coats of eggshell should be sufficient provided that it is a decent brand.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Opps. I actually just found a can of diamond eggshell in the shed which feels at least half to 2/3rds full, and half a can of zinzzer permawhite matt. I think I'll use the diamond eggshell. Not sure if the permawhite would work as a mist coat (watered down say 3 parts zinzzer to 1 part water) of if that's, as I expect, a criminal waste of decent paint!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back