Painting a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi newbie here.

I have been reading past posts about paints for bathrooms and just want to confirm/check a few things please.

We have tongue & groove on the bottom half of the room, previously stained and varnished which we have now keyed and undercoated ready for satin finish. The top half of the walls were previously papered and we have had them skimmed to give a nice new surface for painting.

I have discovered from reading this forum that the best undercoat for the walls is the dulux supermatt (thinned) and to avoid the retail kitchen and bathroom paint. Dulux trade eggshell seems to get good reports for bathrooms, but the Dulux trade range has 2 eggshells. Is the one I should be getting the trade eggshell (solvent based) or the trade diamond quick drying eggshell (water based)?

Also will I be able to paint the radiator with the same satin paint I paint the tongue and groove with? Should I get trade satin or trade diamond satin? Are these a better finish than retail?

No kids to worry about so paint shouldn't be subject to too much punishment, just want the best finish and easiest to keep clean and free of mould etc from condensation.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldny bother with the diamond glaze..I and a lot of other people have had problems with it.

Ordinary Acrylic Eggshell will do ya..made by Dulx Crown or Johnstones

Oil based Satin or eggshell finish will be fine for the radiator and paneling...not a good idea to use water based eggshell/satin on it.

Sorry for such a simple question but I am unsure what you mean by acrylic as I haven't seen this mentioned in the Dulux website other than in the Glidden product which is water based. Expected to use water based for the walls.

The website only mentions the trade eggshell which is solvent based and the diamond, but I thought I saw tins in B&Q labelled "quick drying eggshell" which I presume is the one you mean, but this does not seem to be on the dulux trade website. Could you please confirm.

Do I just get this mixed in the colour I want?

Acrylic eggshell is the trade term for water based...quick drying eggshell is the same thing..go for Dulux or Johnstones brands

Kitchen and bathroon paint is more or less the same thing...but many, including me, find it horrible to apply and very prone to runs and sags

You can have it mixed special in any colour you like if theres nothing you fancy in the standard range

Sponsored Links
Bathroom now finished. Thanks for advice. We had to buy the trade diamond eggshell as this has replaced the trade eggshell (as told by a dulux trade centre) Some shops still have some stock left of the medium and dark mixing bases but couldn't find any light base anywhere. Went on OK though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back