Painting new Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure there is probably an answer to this already on here, but as i can't get hold of my plasterer at the moment (i'm sure i will soon as he hasn't been paid yet) could anybody tell me how long i should leave new plaster, a skim coat over exisitng hard wall and plaster board, before i paint it?

i'd like to get it done as soon as possible, as it's the whole upstairs and we're a bit cramped without it but i don't want to wreck it as it all looks so clean at the moment.

Also how do i get bits of plaster off that have been dropped on the finish, erm splatter, without damaging the finish?

Many Thanks

Ali

Sponsored Links
The plasterer, like many other trades will give you all sorts of cock and bull answers about painting. If its only skim and not too deep a week would be fine before painting. You can see the colour change as it dries to a light pink. Give a mist coat, check for filling and a gentle rub down then finish with your top coats. Any splatter on the wall you can get off with a broad scraper which will stay flat to the wall when you scrape it off.

Here’s some cock & bull answers. :LOL:

It may be OK after 7 days but personally I’d advise you leave it another 3 days, 10-14 days is the norm. By hard wall I assume you mean dot & dab boards over a block wall & not a “Hardwall” plaster base? A skim will look dry (light pink or grey depending) probably the day after it was put on but both the plaster & the plasterboard behind it will still have a higher residual moisture content which could cause blistering in the finish of ordinary, non breathable emulsion paints. A couple of mist coats (thinned 25-30% water) of matt white to prime the surface, fill any blemishes but if your plasterer is any good then you shouldn’t need to. Splatter should come off with a scraper as suggested by Robbie or sometimes it will come off with nothing more than a wet sponge but your spread should really have done that as he finished up. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back