Painting onto replaced blown plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

I've recently had numerous patches of dead/blown plaster removed from walls in my house. The old plaster has been removed and then replaced with bonding and then skimmed.

How long should I wait before I begin to paint over the new plaster. I'm gonna be painting all the walls in the rooms but the new plaster is only on certain parts of the wall as it was only small places where the plaster needed replacing.

I'm a self confessed numb skull when it comes to decorating and obviously don't want to do a bad job.

I hear the Dulux Supermatt is a good paint to use first over the new areas. Do I just use the super matt over the new plaster and when that is dry put the new colour paint over the entire wall??

The skimming was only finished yesterday and the bonding a day or so before that so how long am I gonna have to wait to paint it?? I was hoping to start preparing the walls on Sunday and then painting early next week.

Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Just a skim coat will be OK after 10 -14 days; full base with skim coat can take up to 4 weeks to dry out. Even though it will look dry (pink or light grey), the moisture content may still be relatively high & painting over can cause problems unless you use one of the trade “breathable” paints specifically designed for new plaster but, personally, I don’t like them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back