Another new plaster question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just had our lounge walls and ceiling re-plastered (old ceiling pulled down and boarded and skimmed, walls knocked back to brick and a float and skim put on). This was completed about three weeks ago and, with the recent weather, seems dry.

Having looked at various other threads about painting new plaster, it would seem that Dulux supermatt is the paint to start with. The final coat will be Soft-sheen magnolia (or that type of colour). I will have a look at the instructions on the tin but do I need to thin/water down the supermatt? I once painted over newly plastered walls with the cheapest paint possible and it took SIX coats of paint – this was using a pad. I was going to use a roller this time as the finish looks far superior to that of a pad – never rollered before though. Do I do the supermatt coats with a roller or is a paint brush preferable?

Final question – for now (bit of a thicky this one). The ceiling is going to be brilliant white. We have just had plaster coving fitted and will be painting the ceiling, coving and freeze (bit above the picture rail) all white. Is it normal to paint this all the same texture of white? I was going to use either soft-sheen or matt.

Many thanks

G

Sponsored Links
Best using matt on above picture rail & coving & cieling. Use roller & brush for cutting in. Thin down first coat of supermatt by 25% water. Thin down second of supermatt by 15% water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back