Painting on lining paper which absorbs the moisture from the paint too quickly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've painted a wall which looks great when I stand in front of it, but when I stand on the side of it facing the light, I can see several shaded marks. I can't avoid looking from one side since that's where the entrance to the room is.

I've added 12% water to the paint and painted 3 coats in total as I still could see some tiny bits of colour from the lining paper on my second coat. I've lightly sanded between coats and applied just enough pressure to the roller.

The problem I have is that I cannot roll from top to bottom of the wall, even with loads of paint on the roller, as the lining paper absorbs the moisture from the paint really quickly and by the time I reach the bottom of the wall, there's no more paint that transfers onto that part of the wall. So I had to do the W method, 2 feet by 2 feet, working my way from top to bottom, each section at a time, overlapping the previous sections by a few inches, as the paint dries really fast.

Is there anything else I could have done or should I just accept that some marks cannot be avoided when I paint on lining paper when the light reflects on it ? Would using a masonry roller perhaps help to hold more paint and therefore go a bit further, so as to reduce the number of marks on a wall?

I've got another south facing room to paint and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back